This is my first post. For computer scientists, the first word, printed on the screen in a new programm or homepage is Hello World...so:
At first someting about me. Im a IT student from germany. And like many IT Students im using Linux as my operation system. Many people think "aaahh linux...it sucks..nothing works" ...but in my opinion linux is the very best OS you can have. I have to admit, its not the easiest. In Windows you install a programm, and it works. More easy: Mac. Most times, you cant really install any program. Download it in Macstore and whatever... (I don't have many expieriences with Mac, to be honest)
Well, but linux is very different from all of these.
At first there is a Linux for everyone! There is a huge variety of different Linux distributions. There are Distributions for kids, with educations, for scientists, for the Police (with fingerprint analyzing, etc), for some kind of nerds, who want to build their own linux, with own drivers and so on, and of course for normal People like you and me.
For a newbie on Linux it is the easiest way to install Ubuntu. Ubuntu is a very userfriendly distribution. The installation is very easy. Just insert your CD and everything works. If your Computer isnt very old, everything will work out of the box. This way you can easy get known to Linux.
But...why am i using Linux and why should more other people use it? Well, of course it is a kind of the different tastes of the people. Think it would be the best way to make a list with Pros for Linux:
- most Distributions are Opensource. It means. the sourcecode of the programs is public. You dont have to pay for it, and if you don't like something you can change it for your own (of course it is nessesary to know something about programing then).
- You can adapt it to your personal needs. The looking as well as the working. There are different Desktop Manager, which you can change however you want. The most known are Gnome and KDE.
- Software Repositories. If you need a program, you can just look in the Repositories (Like Macstore) . Most times you'll be successfull.
- Many updates. When you start using Linux you'll notice, you get many updates! Sometimes dayly! When you look at Microsoft...they need a few month to create a new update.
- It runs. Sounds stupid but it's true. If you have a running Linux system, it'll run forever, if you dont change configs, etc. You can install programms as you want, without making the PC slower. Back to Windows: The only time, when Windows runns good, is right after a new installation. If you install some programms, the PC soon starts to get slower. Don't know why, but its fact.
- Nearly no maleware. Nothing to add here ;)
Well I think it's enough for the first time. I hope i convinced somebody, to use Linux. And in a few years linux is suitable for everybody :)